Communications directors, press secretaries, advisors, miracle-workers – no matter what you call them, politicians need PR specialists like Miley Cyrus needs therapy. Here are my top 10 reasons why this is, and will always be true.
- If you can’t get voters to believe in you, you won’t go very far: The public likes to be motivated and inspired by candidates. If you’re bland, unlikeable and unbelievable, they won’t want to vote for you, even if you’re the candidate for their party. Ain’t that right, Mitt?
- If you can’t get the public to believe in your ideas, your policy initiatives won’t go very far, either: This is especially true on a local level. It’s the PR team’s job to make sure the voting public has all the accurate information they need to make an informed decision. One little rumor, or false piece of information can mislead them into voting a different way.
- We can handle pretty much any aspect of a campaign: May that be donor relations, community relations, investor relations, event planning, media management, speech writing, etc. You name it, we do it. And, we’ll do it well.
- Social media: In today’s political climate, social media is everything. Analysts say that it played a huge factor in mobilizing millenianals to Obama’s side during the 2008 and 2012 elections. This New York Times article compares side by side the social media usage of the Romney campaign vs. the President’s. It’s no coincidence that Obama’s was much more human, relatable and fun than Romney’s. Not to mention this tweet put out by the Obama campaign: I
- The right PR person can open new opportunities with different target groups: In the last two presidential elections, President Obama firmly had young people and minorities in his corner, much like former President Bill Clinton did back in the day. As we’ve learned from them, relying on your base group doesn’t cut it anymore. The times are changing, and if politicians hope to come out on top, they better be prepared to broaden their reach.
- We can tell you who to target, why target them, AND how to do it: For example, if any republicans want even the slightest chance at going far in the 2016 election, they are going to need to show women and minorities that they actually aren’t the racists, sexists pigs that they perceive to be. America is getting more diverse by the day, and any talk of things like stricter immigration or abortion laws will send them packing very quickly.
- There will always be some mess to clean up: Did someone say “Watergate”? Monica Lewinsky? Yes, those are some of the more infamous ones, but there are actually countless others that have came and went throughout the years. Take a look.
- ALWAYS. Since a lot of politicians don’t have common sense, like the ones that sleep with interns and prostitutes, show their “Weiners” on social media, launder campaign finances, bribe, and everything else under the sun, it’s imperative for them to have someone to do damage control. For a lot of politicians, a scandal marks the end of their career. But every once in a while, if handled correctly by the right team, the politician bounces back.
- On the bright side, we can make you look good:
- More importantly, we’re fantastic at making the other guy look bad: After all, they don’t call it “dirty politics” for nothing.
So for all you politicians out there, remember, we got your back :)